Friday, September 12, 2008

You Gotta Love immigration!

So Mac and I arrived in the States 2 weeks ago now. Shortly after we arrived (maybe a week or so) I received my Social Security Card (same thing as a Social Insurance Number). Yesterday i got a letter from Immigration. It informed me that they had received my immigration package from my point of entry into the States (the Peace Bridge between Erie and Buffalo) and that at some point within the next 30 days.

Now, I do not handle paperwork like the immigration office does, but I would think that it would be easier to have one person receive my package and then send me the appropriate paperwork than to have one person send a letter saying that they have received the package and then have another person do the follow up work.

See here's the issue -- without this paper work I can't prove that I'm here permanently in the States, so I can't get a job or update my driver's license etc!

One thing is for sure...the gov't likes making (wasteing?!) paper!!

No comments: