Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day After Thoughts

After yesterdays festivities and the quadrennial inaugural prayer service, it is once more okay for American politicians to pay public homage to God. I expect it has more to do with Obama being the 'correct' politician compared to Bush, but I do smile to myself when I think of the many times I heard Regent College students bemoaning the fact that Bush refused to separate Church and state to their liking. I guess we can all sing God Bless America once more (the number of times I had to endure some self-styled above-it-all Christian describing how wrong it way to sing that song...).

Another reflection I have concerns the worldwide pant for Obama. Having lived in Canada for several years, I was under the impression that the rest of the world did not yearn for the USA to determine and lead all things good. Help me out on this one my foreign friends. Is the media wrong in portraying a world that longs for American hegemony to reassert itself? I thought such hubris ended as Bush left for Texas? I am suspicious, but Obama appears to be the 'correct' American President to reassert said hegemony.

Finally, I am beginning to think that post-partisanship will only be demanded of the conservatives. Pelosi and Reid have squeezed committees of republican lawmakers and the Dem leaders have blocked rules allowing for alternative (read opposition) legislation from being introduced into the debate. This was a courtesy granted by the Republicans to the Democrats in the 1990's and into the 2000's.

No comments: