Tuesday, November 4, 2008

History

I have seen something that I will never forget. America, the country that continues to lead the rest of the western world in what it means to truly reflect freedom and equality, has just elected as its leader a minority, a black man who 50 years ago held little hope for any sort of equality. I am proud of what America has stood for, and I believe that the fundamentals of American governance has allowed for today's historic outcome. As a conservative, I can truly stand upon the rule of law and the principles of opportunity and freedom that have given this great country the admiration of the world.

My wife has informed me that I must clarify this next paragraph. First, I hold out a Utopian dream that the likes of Daily K_s, Guardian UK, Der Speigel, and Le Figaro writers come to read my posts to understand the pulse of America. I know it's silly, but I'm unemployed and need my fantasies. Second, I believe the cartoonish stereotyping by these publications tries to break down civil discourse and foment hate. Finally, I hope the right wing fringe will heed the critique and be as classy as McCain was in his concession speech.

To the detractors of this country, both internal and external, I would like to say that your assessments are wrong. As you hunker down in your bigotries, the wind of freedom blows strong and unhindered regardless of your slanders. You have proven yourselves to be empty cans, and your rattle has become annoying. Your hubris has been tolerated with grace; it is now your responsibility to recognize reality. I hope you are mature enough so to do.

I may disagree with many aspects of President Elect Obama's politics, but I am proud to be living in the USA today. Barack Obama is my president (elect).

No comments: