Saturday, May 24, 2008

Refinishing.... finished!

So one of my recent projects is now finished. I refinished an old dry sink (antique) for Mac's parents. My dad and both grandfathers and a great-grandfather all work with wood, so I was hoping it might be genetic. Here are some photos, I think it turned out pretty well :)


These first few pictures are "in progress photos". As you can see, the dry sink used to be an awful green colour -- Late 60s/Early 70s green. It really wasn't hard to figure out why they wanted the unit refinished. It was just plain ugly before!

























Here's the inside of the cabinet -- untouched by the stripping agent to give you a really good idea of the colour.











Here you can see SOME of the layers -- 60s green, over tourquoise, over cream, over some sort of finish.










Ta da! The new piece -- can you believe this is the same thing???

There seems to have been 2 different types of wood used to build the unit. The wood on the drawer fronts, around the doors and the top sides seems to be a lighter wood than the stuff on the rest of the unit.








I promise its not black. Though it looks very dark in these photos, especially this one.

















This gives you a better idea of what the colour actually is.












And once we got it to Mac's parent's place, it was very shortly put to use -- a dry bar.
















I didn't strip the shelves inside, just gave them another coat of black paint and then a clear gloss coat over top of everything.








Not to "toot my own horn", but I'm so pleased with how the unit turned out. There were a few places the paint just would not come out of the grain of the wood, but over all, it just turned out so wonderful!!!

No comments: