Thursday, May 22, 2008

Illegal Immigration

This morning Mac was listening to a video on the internet focused on Illegal Immigration. Protesters chanted "No Racists, No Bordered, no Minute-Man supporters.." Over and over again. And while I feel for those who have fled horrible situations to come to a place that is safer, I find myself tiring of the debate to make "legal" "illegal" immigrants. I have to wonder, if I was living here illegally and there was a vote/law whatever that would give amnesty to illegal immigrants, would i be accepted as an illegal immigrant? Or is my skin the wrong colour? Perhaps I have grown overly cynical on this topic, but as someone who is trying to enter into residence in the States LEGALLY, I find all this frustrating! Reform the immigration legislation -- that is definitely necessary! I can't even begin to tell you all the waste that is in the system currently. Its a long drawn out process and I can't help but think there must be a way to streamline it. Or maybe I just want the US government to work on my schedule.

If they provide amnesty for illegal aliens, what are they going to do for the rest of us who had to pay money not only to apply or immigration, but to go to a special doctor for an incredibly invasive doctors appointment (or so I've heard), pay for residences in two countries, have had to put off dealing with family stuff because they couldn't be in the country when necessary.....? Or do we not matter because our skin colour or country of origin means we have the resources to go through this process and for it to take a long time isn't a big deal???

The issue here at hand here is instant gratification. While there are many who have immigrated illegally because of war and other atrocities, and I do feel for them. But they can claim refugee status and have LEGAL status in the US. Others are here because they have families here, or because they want to make more money to send to their family back home in __________, or because the grass looks greener on the US side of the fence -- there are millions of reasons as to why people would want to move to the states. Me, I want to live with my HUSBAND, where he can work and where we can help support his parents for awhile. That is no more or less noble than any other reason. Yes I could just hop the fence and never leave the States, but I'd rather have the freedom to cross the border whenever I want, without fear of one day being barred from entry because they caught up to me. And good things come to those that wait. Why on earth should people be allowed to have citizenship in a country when they want it -- and just because they skipped the process to get in legally??

Bottom line. Countries have borders for a reason. Some may legitimately have no other choice but to flee their country. But most have the luxury of making the decision whether they are going to enter the States (or Canada, as there are thousands of illegal immigrants in Canada as well), by legal or illegal means. For those who are legitimate refugees -- let's welcome them with open arms. But to all those who made a definite choice to skip the process --- get in line with the rest of us who want to enter the States.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well said. The people who have applied and are still waiting are the ones who deserve the citizenship. The process does appear too drawn out. Further, those with something to offer should be given higher priority like the writer this piece. I think that doing right and good is still better than jumping the border for a quick easy fling with our economy. With more states passing tougher anti illegal immigration laws, judgement day is coming for the fence jumping lawbreakers. Hang in there, your time will come and your conscious will be clear and your futures not jeapordized.