Monday, December 31, 2007

Food.... . and LOTS of it!

This Christmas season has been marked by food.... lots and lots of food!
Of course there was the usual Christmas Day Feast! Mac and I joined my family (Mom, Dad, Margaret, Grammie, Grandma, Grandpa and my bro and his girlfriend) as well as a couple family friends for a feast on Christmas Day. It was a great day to sit and enjoy each other's fellowship, generosity (thank you again everyone!!) and some wonderful food!! Mmmmm turkey, stuffing, potatoes, salads, cookies, spanish cream, fruit/gumdrop cake.....mmmmm chocolate!!!!

Boxing day was a slowish day, but then on the 27th we met up with the Cairns and Shihs for some Japanese foods. Everyone else had some form of sushi, while I broadened our scope of Japanese food by having Yakisoba. I had to laugh during the meal. At one point Drew Shih mentioned that there was "non-sushi" options for those who are more conservative in their food preferences. However, having been to Japan and eating tonnes of Japanese food I would argue that only eating sushi is conservative -- there are so many other Japanese foods that are sooooooo yummy! I love Japanese food as a whole, its the sashimi that I don't like -- though ate plenty of -- and in reality that makes up only a small portion of the typical Japanese diet.

On the 28th Mac and I joined friends of mine from High school (though Stacey and Megan were in grade school with me too!) and headed down to the Toronto Food bank. There we sorted people's donations for 3 hours and packed them into boxes. Mac was taken to help unload the packed boxes of various foods and stack them on palates to be taken to the "shopping" area and used to stock shelves. It really was amazing to see what was donated. If you are thinking about donating to the Foodbank, here are some helpful suggestions:

The foodbank is overflowing with: pasta (even gluten free sometimes!!), pasta sauce, vegetables (specifically peas, cut carrots and cream corn) and soup. There was also a lot of beans (i.e. plain beans in cans or dry beans in a bag). What there isn't a lot of is: hot drinks (coffee, hot chocolate, teas), canned fruits, baking supplies (flour, baking soda, baking powder etc), and sugar is also in low supply.

After the foodbank we went back to Mike and Ryan's place for a potluck dinner! We all brought parts of a pasta dinner and Ryan made wonderful little cakes with icing, and ice cream with lemon curd for dessert. I will eat her baking anytime!!!!! For dinner we were joined by a few other friends and it was truly a joyful evening!!

This holiday has also been marked by food in another way: baking! Before Christmas (the friday-Saturday) I made some six different kinds of cookies! I decided to try some new recipes this year that i found on a wonderful little christmas cookie website: www.christmas-cookies.com.
Then on Sunday I decided to make sourdough starter so Mac and I could enjoy homemade sourdough bread. Monday I took a break from baking to make the potato dish for Christmas. Tuesday being christmas, I took a break. But on Wednesday I made 2 loaves of bread (which ended up in the freezer because we don't actually need it right now), on Thursday I made cranberry muffins (and the pasta sauce for friday), Friday I was out all day with the foodbank and following potluck), Saturday i didn't bake anything but on Sunday I made pizza crust for lunch (mac took over once i made the dough), and then made butter tarts (with apples instead of raisins) in the evening. So baking.... mmmm i'm enjoying it!! I even asked my parents if they want me to make them bread because i'm enjoying getting back into baking bread, something I did a lot of in High School but not since. But sadly they didn't need any when i asked.

Tonight we head to friends of my Family's (the Van Sickles) for their annual New Years Eve Fondue night! Its always super fun and super yummy!! Sooooo much yummy food. We'll have a late lunch and then munch all evening long!!! mmmmmm

This holiday season needs to end soon -- or my waistline is just not going to recover!!

PS if anyone wants some fresh bread! Let me know.... i'm looking for excuses to bake!

No comments: